Saturday, May 18, 2013

Understanding Your Metabolism

Not to confuse you - (although I might), I want to go over what metabolism is and the different measurements of your metabolism, because in future posts - I'll probably refer to these different measurements and I want to be sure we are all on the same page. 

First - a standard definition of metabolism:  
 metabolism  -  |məˈtabəˌlizəm|
noun
the chemical processes that occur within a living organism in order to maintain life.

BMR - stands for Basal Metabolic Rate.  This is the amount of energy your body needs to sustain life at it's most complete state of rest.  This is what it needs for basic life functions - brain activity, organs functioning - etc.
RMR - stands for Resting Metabolic Rate - this is your resting metabolism.  Much like the BMR, but not as stringent - you are reclined, resting - but awake.
TMR - stands for Total Metabolic Rate - this is the number of calories your body needs to sustain life - (or your BMR), plus the amount of calories you spend during the day - your physical (or non-physical) as well as the energy you spend digesting food.

When I measure someone's metabolism through gas exchange - I will draw out a pie chart - and divide it into thirds.  Sixty % of your TMR, is used for your basic life functions - your body at rest, your RMR.  Ten % of your TMR, is used for food digestion and 30% of your TMR is used in your daily activity (not including your exercise).  I'm talking just your regular work day - running errands, things like that.  

No matter who you are - the goal is typically to increase your metabolism.  You can do this from 2 different directions.  You can increase your BMR/RMR - and/or increase your TMR.  In order to increase your BMR - you need to focus on increasing your muscle mass.  In order to increase your TMR - you can do lots of things - but one very general one is to simply increase your daily movement!!  Start there - just move more.  And I will give tips in future posts on ways you can increase your metabolism.  

I know sometimes if feels like we are always moving - but we really aren't.  For instance - I am CONSTANTLY on the "go."  But - I'm in the car a LOT - driving to clients homes, taking my kids to softball or other activities, then I'm sitting there waiting for them - or watching the games - it's a lot of sitting during the day - yet, I'm exhausted because I'm constantly on the go.  
So - I'd invited you to really look at your daily schedule - how much are you sitting and how much are you really moving??  Get out and work in the yard, clean out the garage -pick a project in the house and just dig in and move.  Avoid the couch - avoid the t.v. - just move.  Start there - and I'll share more ideas later.  

Shine on ~
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment