Thursday, May 9, 2013

~a seriously healthy dinner~

For me, in the past at least, "healthy" meant putting applesauce in my chocolate muffins, or flax in my chocolate chip cookies. Maybe using whole wheat flour in my banana bread.
Catch the drift? 
But as I age I am starting to look at healthy foods in a new light.
I think these foods take a while to get used too, at least they did for me.
On Jan. 1 2013 when I started out in this "journey" sticking to my calories was hard! 
I was a royal bitch the first week and a half and I detested looking at vegetables let alone eating them.
I started off by juicing.
Disguising those veggies in with oranges and apples.

However, I have grown to actually CRAVE fruits and vegetables!
It's really weird. 
Last night I was seriously craving fresh fruits and vegetables so I made a easy dinner, and want to share the recipe with you.
It totally filled me up and was really low in calories. It's an egg white frittata, which sounds weird if you are not used to eating egg whites. To me, the look of egg whites is gross. But when I think about it, I guess a raw egg isn't much better looking.
Something about pouring egg whites into a bowl makes me want to gag.
But, I am here to tell you that I lived through pouring egg whites, no gagging.
AND, the best part, I actually liked the egg white frittata!

Here is the recipe and the details on the nutrients:
{feel free to print out these recipe cards for your own use}



 Dice up all the fresh veggies and sauté.
 It turned out really pretty too right? 
 I served it with juice I made in my Breville.
 This is my sons favorite juice.
It's a gorgeous bright red color due to the beets, but I tell him it's because of all the raspberries!
Really there isn't any raspberries in it, but he drinks these down almost every morning before school.
I don't really measure anything out.
I think for the one last night I did 4 oranges, 2 small apples, 1 large beet, about 3 cups of spinach, and maybe a cup of carrots. 

Anyway, all in all, I give this dinner a 10 out of 10!

If you have any super healthy recipes, I'd love to hear about them.

Melaine

3 comments:

  1. Melaine - I would like to get a juicer but not until I have some ideas of what to do with it and some of the ingredients. Do you just wing it when you juice? When you started out did you use recipes? Can you share some of them or a good juicing book? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure! I'll do a juicing post soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, in the past at least, "healthy" meant Kate putting applesauce in my chocolate muffins, or flax in my chocolate chip cookies. Maybe using whole wheat flour in my banana bread.

    ReplyDelete