Friday, May 17, 2013

Metabolic Meltdown!

Metabolic Meltdown!! This is what you could have if you aren’t careful and eating enough!  Yes, you heard me correctly, eating enough!  I’ve been assessing metabolism for over 5 years now and have run over 600 assessments.  What I have found to be the case, probably 90% of the time, is that people aren’t eating enough!  My niche is fat loss, thank goodness since there doesn’t seem to be a shortage of it – and when someone comes in to see me, the story is always the same, maybe with small variations.  But the story goes like this:

I must have a REALLY slow metabolism cause I have been trying to lose 20 lbs for the last 6 months and it doesn’t seem to matter how well-behaved I am, I can’t seem to take it off.  The first 10 lbs came off real easy, but these last 10 are stubborn!!!  So – I added a couple more workout days, and I’m working out 6 days a week instead of 4 and I’m eating healthier than ever.  STILL – nothing!  I can’t possibly cut out any more calories – I must be broken or something, or have the slowest metabolism in the world.  Its ridiculous and I’m fed up and ready to give up!

Story sound familiar?  When this is going on - I have found there to be several reasons,..

1.  They aren't eating enough and are unintentionally in starvation
2.  There are hormone imbalances
3.  There are issues with their thyroid
4.  They tried the HCG diet and killed their metabolism - and it is now EXTREMELY low

There are ways to remedy each problem and work with them - but first you have to figure out what it is.  Number 2 & 3 need to be diagnosed and or ruled out by your physician.  Then ask yourself if you have tried the HCG diet - if you have, there is a good possibility that your resting metabolic rate IS very low and yes - it will be a challenge to lose the fat, but yes - it can be done.  If you have never tried that diet and number 2 & 3 aren't an issue - then there is a good chance that you simply aren't eating enough.  

If you live in an area where you can have a metabolic assessment done on yourself - through gas exchange, I highly recommend it.  They usually run between $250.00 - $300.00.   You will be able to learn what your caloric boundaries are by measuring your resting metabolic rate as well as your metabolism while you are exercising.  This is actually what we did with Melaine and Chris a couple years ago - it's the best way to go.  However - that is a bit more than what some can afford or want to spend - these days and or, you may not have one accessible to you.  

Another option is having your composition measured on a regular basis on an InBody.  Over a few weeks - having been measured consistently and regularly, you can see the trend - what your composition is doing and will be able to tell if you are losing lean muscle tissue or fat - and will then know, whether or not you need to increase your calories or cut them back.    

Something to be aware of though - your metabolism is dynamic and will change - for the better or worse, depending on your behavior.  Melaine and I will be sharing more information on the InBody - what it is, what it looks like - etc, in future posts.

Hope this helps a little - maybe give you some ideas or directions to go.

Carrie

2 comments:

  1. love this new addition to your posts. Can you address protein powder....it seems unncessary to me as a "regular gal"...it seem like the thing of the moment. I would love a simple educated opinion from Carrie.
    Thank you !! Happy Friday Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fascinating. I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete