Wednesday, May 29, 2013

~PB2~{and another smoothie recipe}

 I discovered PB2 not that long ago, and found it is a great alternative to high fat peanut butter. 
You can order and read about it here.
I bought the plain powdered version, but am anxious to try the chocolate.
I tried the recipe below yesterday and it was so good, I finished it off before remembering to take a picture for you. Yes, it was that good.
This is not a very low cal. option, but good for after a hard workout.
It says it serves 2, but I drank the whole thing.

Here is the list of ingredients from powdered PB2. As you can see the calories in 2 Tablespoons are only 45, compared to regular peanut butter which has about 190. 
Quite the difference.
I shared a cookie recipe using PB2 on my friend Tessa's blog a while ago.
  Here is the link if you want to look that up.
I have found that getting enough protein in your diet is very important.
It not only helps keep you full feeling longer, but it also helps in building and repairing muscles.
If you are wondering how much protein you should eat per day {it's more than I bet you think}
bodybuilding.com has a way to calculate it. Go here for that info.
I've found it tricky finding high protein and low fat foods. Here are a few of my favorite choices:

nonfat greek yogurt
turkey jerky
southwestern egg beaters
PB2
supreme protein bars
nonfat milk aka tall nonfat vanilla latte at Starbucks :)
chicken and hummus plate at Starbucks
protein plate at Starbucks
are you seeing a trend here? 
So, calculate your protein intake for the day and see how many you are consuming.
It's hard and you have to gradually work your way up.
Good luck!
Melaine

INGREDIENTS:

Roasted peanuts, sugar, salt.
Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
Servings per container: 15
Calories: 45
Calories from fat: 13
Value and % Daily Value*
  • Total fat 1.5 g 3%
  • Saturated fat 0 g 0%
  • Trans fat < 0.01 g
  • Cholesterol < 0.01 mg 0%
  • Sodium 94 mg 4%
  • Total carbohydrate 5 g 2%
  • Dietary fiber 2 g 8%
  • Sugars 1 g
  • Protein 5 g
  • Vitamin A < 1%
  • Vitamin C 0%
  • Calcium <1%
  • Iron 0%

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of PB2, but I'm looking forward to trying it. I eat a jar of pb per week (natural, peanuts only, no additional ingredients). I love pb! I work out, so I have no prob burning the calories. However, I don't ever add pb to my Shakeology, because I would rather eat my calories than drink them. This PB2 looks like it could be a great addition to my choco Shakeology for a different flavor without adding lots of calories. I wonder if I can buy it where I live. I'm off to check out your link. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete